Elder Care Observances: National Hot Tea Month
Elder Care in Deerfield, IL
Now that the cold weather has definitely set in and you are settling in for the winter, your thoughts are likely turning to the foods and beverages that will keep you warm and cozy. One of the best of these is hot tea. There is nothing quite like curling up with a hot cup of tea at the end of one of those bone-chilling days in your elder care journey and relaxing as the warmth and soothing flavors comfort and relax you. January is National Hot Tea Month, the ideal opportunity for you to celebrate all of the wonderful flavors and benefits of your favorite cup of hot tea and find new and exciting ways to make this toasty beverage part of your ongoing elder care efforts with your parents.
Let these ideas inspire you and your parents' elderly health care services provider to come up with ways to celebrate National Hot Tea Month together this January:
• Try loose tea. While most people use tea bags to make their cup of hot tea, there is nothing that compares to the flavor and potency of loose tea. In order to make a cup of tea using a loose tea mixture you simply scoop tea into a strainer and put the strainer into a cup of hot water just like you would a tea bag. Wait several minutes to let the tea steep, and then enjoy. The steeping does take longer with a strainer, but it is worth it. Plan a day to go with your parents to a local tea shop to try different mixes and find a new mix to enjoy together. They can even give you tips for making the perfect pot
• Pick a new strainer. If you are going to enjoy a delicious cup of hot tea made from loose tea you will need a strainer. There is a seemingly endless variety of these strainers available, making them a fun personalization for your and your aging parents' cup. Look for strainers that fit with a hobby or personal interest and when you are not using them to make tea, use them as decoration for your parents' kitchen
• Experiment with new flavors. Change up your usual tea experience by experimenting with a variety of new flavors. Adding a boost of taste to your tea is as easy as adding ingredients to your strainer while steeping the tea, or adding ingredients right to your cup if you are using a tea bag. Try citrus zest, fresh ginger root, pieces of peppermint, honey, or even peach nectar
• Get creamy. Create an indulgent experience by adding extra cream to your chai or other sweet tea blend and then topping it with a strong spice. The experience is soothing and rich like coffee, but offers you all of the benefits of herbal tea
• Get crafty. If you happen to find a cup of tea that has gone cold, do not just throw it away. Use it for a special craft. Just pour the tea over pieces of high quality paper for an antiqued look you can use for stationary or scrapbook.
If you or an aging loved one are considering in-home elder care in Deerfield, IL, please contact the caring staff at Gentle Home Services. Call today (800) 860-9823.
Gentle Home Services
Celebrating over 25 years in Home Health Care