Carbon monoxide poisoning unfortunately happens all too often. It has killed many people, including many elderly adults. Carbon monoxide can form in a home from many causes including heating systems, space heaters, water heaters, cooking ranges, gas stoves, furnaces, and other things, too. If these fumes build up in the home, it can be deadly.
As a family caregiver, it is important that you and elder care providers know the carbon monoxide symptoms to watch out for in elderly adults. Recognizing the symptoms early could save their life.
While there are hundreds of things that could cause your elderly loved one to have a headache, it is important to know that this is one of the many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If your loved one starts experiencing a headache out of nowhere, it could signify a carbon monoxide leak in their home. This is something that should be checked out right away.
Your loved one might experience body weakness if they are exposed to carbon monoxide, as well. They might feel that it is difficult to stand up. When they get up, they might feel like they are weak in their legs or arms. Their entire body could feel worn out, as well. If you notice your loved one is experiencing body weakness that seems to come out of nowhere, get them out of the home right away and have someone test their home for carbon monoxide poisoning. You should also get your loved one straight to the emergency room or doctor’s office.
Nausea or Vomiting
With carbon monoxide exposure, you might also notice that your loved one is getting nauseous or they might start vomiting. This means the carbon monoxide has gotten into their system. If the cause for their nausea and vomiting is due to carbon monoxide exposure, make sure you get them to a medical professional right away.
Shortness of Breath
Has your elderly loved one suddenly become short of breath in their home? This might be happening while they are sitting down or it might happen as they stand up from a chair or couch. If your elderly loved one has become short of breath, it is important to have them checked out by a doctor. They could have been exposed to carbon monoxide. If this is the case, be sure they don’t return to their home until they are cleared to do so.
These are some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure to watch out for in your elderly loved one. Keep an eye out for these symptoms to help keep your loved one safe.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services in Evanston IL, contact the caring staff at Gentle Home Services. Call today (800) 860-9823.