Emergencies and disasters such as severe weather can occur very suddenly with little to no warning, potentially putting your aging loved one in a dangerous situation. While these events can occur when your elderly parent is at home, there is also the possibility that they will encounter such a situation when they are in a vehicle with you or a care provider.
Just as you take steps to protect your parent and give them what they need in such an event if they are at home, it is extremely important that you also have such preparedness supplies in the vehicle so that if a disaster or emergency occurs while you are on the road, you can get through the situation as safely, healthily, and comfortably as possible.
Some of the items that you should have in your emergency preparedness kit for your vehicle include:
• Potable water in containers that are not susceptible to heat
• Non-perishable, nutrient-dense food such as protein bars or dried fruits and nuts
• First aid kit containing basic supplies such as alcohol swabs, bandages, burn relief cream, and over-the-counter medications including pain killers and stomach relief
• Blankets to provide warmth, but also to protect you in the event of flying debris
• Extra clothing
• Basic vehicle repair items such as oil, antifreeze, non-potable water, a jack, flat tire repair, and flares
• Emergency contact information for members of your parent’s personal care network so that you can get in touch with these people should an emergency occur.
Starting homecare for your elderly loved one can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them during the course of your caregiver journey with them. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule to ensure that your parent gets the care, support, and encouragement that they need both when you are able to be with them and when you are not. This ensures that they are able to live the quality of life that they desire and deserve while pursuing an active, engaged, and fulfilling lifestyle with as much independence as possible.
When it comes to emergency situations, a homecare provider can help your parent to feel more confident in their preparation for these situations so that they are able to handle them in the best way for them. Immediately following an emergency, this homecare provider can offer support, supervision, and assistance that will enable your parent to take the steps that they need to, while also enabling you to do what you need to do to get them back to their normal life as soon as possible.
This care provider can help your loved one build an emergency preparedness kit to keep in the vehicle, and review this kit regularly to ensure that everything inside it is up-to-date and in good condition. This ensures that everything inside is as safe, effective, and beneficial as possible in the event that your parent faces an emergency or disaster.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Homecare Services Lake Forest IL, contact the caring staff at Gentle Home Services. Call today (800) 860-9823.