Spring cleaning is an ideal opportunity for you to get your parents out of the winter season and into the freshness of spring by deep cleaning their home. As a family caregiver this can take on an even more valuable role as you remove germs, prepare for allergens, and help to create an environment that is healthier, more comfortable, and safer for your aging parent.
When you are preparing for your spring cleaning efforts, it is important to make sure that you choose the right cleaning products. Chemical cleaners may seem as though they are doing a more effective job, but they can be irritating for your parent's skin, eyes, and respiratory system, and dangerous if kept in the home of a senior with cognitive functioning decline.
Try these ways to avoid chemicals when spring cleaning your parent's home:
* A combination of baking soda, lemon juice, and water is a highly effective cleaner for surfaces and can even be used to naturally break up difficult stains such as grease on the stove.
* For even more power, use baking soda and vinegar.
* Citric acid and baking soda are fantastic at cleaning the toilet. The combination removes stains and freshens without using harsh chemicals.
* To create an antibacterial cake that can be used to clean and freshen drains, clean and freshen the toilet, and even clean the dishwasher, combine baking soda, Epsom salts, citric acid, and lemon and tea tree essential oils. These naturally freshen but also kill bacteria, while the salt, soda, and citric acid combine with water to fizz and break down stains and build up.
* Baking soda is also very effective at deep cleaning carpets. Sprinkle baking soda onto the carpet and leave for 15 minutes before vacuuming up. The baking soda will attract moisture, hair, dust, and dirt so that it comes out of the fibers more easily. You can also add essential oils to put a clean scent into the carpet.
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be extremely meaningful and fulfilling, but it can also be stressful. Trying to manage all of your parent's needs as well as those of your children, your marriage, your home, your career, and any other obligations can make you feel overwhelmed and as though you are always trying to finish more than you have the time to do.
Fortunately, homecare can be there for you. A homecare provider can step in to fill care gaps, manage potentially sensitive tasks that your parent or you are not comfortable with you handling, provide additional support and companionship, and give your parent the personalized services that they need to have the highest quality of life as they age in place. As their caregiver this will ease your stress, give you more time, and allow you to focus on all of the responsibilities of your life in the ways that are right for you and for your parent.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Homecare Services in Glenview IL, contact the caring staff at Gentle Home Services. Call today (800) 860-9823.